How to get your Idea Online – Quick Tips for New Businesses and Bloggers
1. Just start, many people have a great idea but never implement it.
2. Choose your business and brand names. This is how your business or product will be represented to the world. Make sure it is catchy and professional. (There are many articles online about funny but poorly chosen names.)
3. Build a Website and Create Content. Provide as much information as possible about your business. Refresh and add to that content often to keep it current and relevant for your visitors. Consider starting a blog to promote your brand and interact with your visitors.
4. Spread the Word! Make sure you take advantage of the free marketing credits that come with your iPage hosting account.
Building and Marketing a New Website
· Choose an effective web address name or “domain name”. Your name can create the first impression of your site, make it good! (For those that are just starting out and do not know what a domain name is, it is the part of a website name that goes after www. ______________ in your browser. Your domain can end in .com, .org, .net but there are now many other TLDs that the web url can end in.) If you need help choosing your domain name read this article.
· Plan what pages are going to be on your website and what information you will put on them. A few informative and engaging pages are better than many empty pages. On the flip side you do not want your visitors scrolling and looking for information on a cluttered page. That is why it is important to plan out your site ahead of time to make sure information is easy to find and laid out well.
· Consider adding a blog. It is a quick and easy way to add content to your site, share news and events and keep it fresh and interesting.
· Consider adding a mobile version of your site. A mobile web builder will make it quick and easy. More and more searches are being done on mobile and tablet devices, these visitors will leave if your site is not mobile friendly.
· Add widgets to share your pages on social media and links to your social media pages. This is an easy way to promote your site for free.
· Submit your website to all of the directories. If this seems too labor intensive, use a submission engine offered by your web host. This is also called “getting citations”, which is important for a small local business to rank in search engines.
· Add a Sitemap so that visitors and search engines can easily find all of your pages and content.
· Add a link to your email list and start building a mailing list. Even if you do not have a newsletter or specials yet, you will be happy that you started building your list right away, once you have your content ready.
Quick Tips To Get More Readers For your Blog
Be current! Most people are not looking to read product reviews about VHS tapes, typewriters or Polaroid cameras thus writing about an outdated subject will not get you more readers.
Use images, no matter what marketing report you read images create more engagement. An image can make a topic more interesting if it is creative and well placed.
Be social, share. Choose a few social networks to focus on that are best at promoting the subject matter of your blog. Being active on a few sites is better than stale content on many. It is important to realize that not all social networks are relevant for all types of blogs / businesses. A cooking blog may do well on Pinterest but will be out of place on LinkedIn. Use relevant hashtags with your posts.
Use humor, everyone likes a good laugh and amusing content often goes viral. Make sure your humor is tasteful / tactful so that there is no negative press unless of course the purpose of your blog is to create controversy…
Be relevant, most readers coming to your blog are looking for information on particular subject matter. Posts about politics may not be interesting to those reading your fashion blog while ads for home improvement look silly if you have an internet marketing or technology blog.
Article Courtesy of Sophia+