How to Add Pages in WordPress
Now you’re ready for the next step — adding pages. Once you know how to add pages in WordPress, you’ll be able to create a fully fleshed-out website for your blog or business.
Here you’ll learn the basics of building out your site including:
- What is a WordPress page?
- How do you add pages in WordPress?
- What is a WordPress post?
- How do you add a post to a page in WordPress?
What Is a WordPress Page?
Webpages are to websites what pages are to books. Your WordPress site is comprised of multiple pages that contain text, images, and other media.
While a WordPress page is often confused with a WordPress post, the two are not quite the same — even though available editing options are mostly similar.
The WordPress pages you have on your site will generally remain the same, even if the content on them changes regularly. The pages on your site should fall into a few basic top-level categories — including a homepage, “about me” page, and “contact me” page — so users know where to find the content they’re looking for.
A post is used to share more timely blog content. Additional editing options for posts on WordPress involve the ability to add categories and tags.
How to Add Pages in WordPress
If you want to know how to add pages in WordPress, follow this simple process:
1. Log in to the back end of your WordPress site. This can usually be done by typing your site’s URL followed by /wp-admin.
For example: myblog.com/wp-admin or myblog.com/login
Don’t forget to replace myblog.com with your own domain name. Your screen should look similar to the one below:
2. In your dashboard, look for the Pages icon in the left sidebar. Hover over Pages until a menu appears. Click Add New.
3. Now the page editor will appear. Below is an example of the new Gutenberg block editor. You may see something a little bit different if you’re using WordPress’s classic editor.
Use the page editor to add content to your new page. You can use blocks to insert text, photos, videos, and social media posts.
4. After you’ve added content to your page, check the Status and Visibility toolbar on the right side of your screen.
Set the visibility to:
- Public if you want anyone who lands on your site to be able to see the page.
- Private if you don’t want anyone (but you) to see the page.
- Password Protected if you only want certain people to see the page.
5. Adjust the Publish settings if you want to schedule your page’s publication for a future date and time.
6. If you run a site that has multiple authors, open the drop down menu next to Author and select the correct name for the page’s byline.
7. Use the Permalink menu to add an SEO-friendly slug (last part of your URL) to the page.
8. If you’d like to add a featured image to your page, upload an image in the Featured Image panel.
9. Under Discussion you can enable or disable comments on your page. In general, websites tend to disable comments on pages, and enable them on posts.
10. Under Page Attributes you can select a template for your page (assuming you already have one created) and choose the best designation for the page in terms of your site’s hierarchy.
11. Before you publish your new page, hit Preview to make sure that it looks how you want it to.
12. When you like what you see, hit Publish. Once the page has been published, a box will appear on the bottom left of the screen that says “Page is published. View Page.”
13. Click the View Page link to see your newly published page.
That’s it! You’ve successfully learned how to add pages in WordPress.
What Is a WordPress Post?
A WordPress post is the blog content you add to your WordPress site. It can incorporate text, images, and other multimedia elements.
Posts are usually date stamped and presented chronologically on a WordPress site’s blog. Posts get added often, while WordPress pages usually stay roughly the same over time.
You can use WordPress posts to share the latest news about your company or to publish how-to guides for your customers.
How to Add a Post to a Page in WordPress
To learn how to add a post to a page in WordPress, you’ll follow a process that is very similar to adding a page in WordPress.
1. Log into the backend of your WordPress site. From the dashboard, hover over Posts in the left sidebar until a menu appears. Click Add New.
2. Now you’ll see the same editor you used to add pages in WordPress. Write your post content in the Content area.
3. After you’ve written your content, go to the right sidebar to customize the publication options for your post. Most options will be similar to those you had when you were adding a page (recall that you’ll now have the ability to add a Categories and Tags) .
4. After you’ve written your content and selected settings that you’re happy with, hit Publish to add the post to your site.
Final Thoughts: How to Add Pages in WordPress
Adding content to your WordPress site is a matter of just a few clicks. Now that you know how to add pages in WordPress, as well as WordPress posts, you’re ready to build a full website.
To keep your website creation process simple, choose a hosting solution that is optimized for WordPress. Learn how to build, market, and grow your website with iPage.